Monday, February 27, 2006

Time out of mind

This article, Time out of mind (hat-tip: Inkycircus), is quite good at explaining in lay terms Advanced Sleep Phase Syndrome, describing famous Siffre's experiment (more popular with lay people, I think, as most chronobiologists, me included, regularly forget to mention it when talking about the history of the field), and explaining recent research in subjective time perception.

What really floored me are the comments that reveal that people are mostly still ignorant about biological clocks. Without religious objections that evolution triggers, and with so much coverage in the media, I expected that people will know at least a little bit more. I'll just have to keep blogging, doing my part in educating people about this important aspect of biology.

3 Comments:

Blogger Postmaster P. said...

I read that article as well, and I found it utterly fascinating.

The fact that so few people are aware of biological clocks is not actually all that surprising to me. It's not really something that's taught in school, making it a subject in which you have to actively have an interest in order to actually be aware of it, for the most part.

Getting biological clocks into schools will be an important step, but the best thing that we can do right now is just keep informing people. So yes, please do keep blogging! I've been reading ever since you posted the "Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sleep (But Were Too Afraid To Ask)" article. It's refreshing to see that other people out there understand the importance of biological clocks.

By the way, you'd probably get more comments if you opened up comments to those outside of Blogger. I had to post this using my cat's account.

-ian adams

5:31 PM  
Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

Ooops. I have switched to "everyone" on my other blog a long time ago, but forgot to do it here. It is fixed now - everyone can comment.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Dan Dright said...

I just wanted to tip my hat to you, sir. I work in Jay Hirsh's lab at UVA and Iggy Provencio is a friend of mine. Good work!

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Science & fun cool stuff
Circle of Science Assessment
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next


The Evolution Education Site Ring

This site ring is owned by John Stear

Previous Site

List Sites

Random Site

Join Ring

Next Site

SiteRing by Bravenet.com